Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Girls’ night


Last night was girlfriend steak-night for me and my friends. Three of us are anemic, but why gag on iron supplements when we had a good excuse to chow down on beef. I know it’s a bit barbaric, but we don’t do this too often.

When four women get together, we have endless topics to discuss; from our government going in sequestration to why our waiter was not happy. The evening started as the temperature dipped down to downright chilly. As soon as we were seated, one of us warmed up with a neat scotch. To keep up with her, we ordered a Silverado Merlot but, that went quickly so we ordered another that went down just as fast. The Porterhouse for three was succulent, medium rare and slightly well on the outer edges. The desserts were gooey and the coffee refills never ended. We laughed and we talked…till our night out came to an end or so we thought.

Outside, fresh snow wet our hair but didn’t dampen our spirits. We should have parted, but we went to sing our hearts out at karaoke until the new day began. Well, this morning my body is little frazzled. I shouldn’t have had the cappuccino in hindsight, but when we were served bad coffee, our waiter suggested cappuccino. I couldn’t resist a final cup.  

It kept me all night and this morning I looked and felt like I over- indulged. My stomach butterflies convinced me I’d regret more caffeine, so I opened our newest addition Butterscotch. Believe me, I didn’t want anything that even hinted at scotch, but the warm inviting smell of caramel comforted me in this chilly morning with its slight fruit note at the finish.

My belly and mouth aren’t ready for food yet, but welcome tea. Thank goodness this is rooibos. I don’t need any more caffeine in my system. Can it be that I can’t indulge caffeine in the evenings anymore? All I can say is that this Butterscotch is buttery… it’s going down smooth and makes me feel that it’s coating my little bruised body. Girls’ night out? Absolutely, we must do it soon, but not too soon. Thanks ladies, I had a blast!

>>Butterscotch....